"Gonconda" Rene Magritte, 1953
(Click on the picture to enlarge it)
After "hope", use a clause in the present tense to talk about the future. For example, "I hope I get a raise next week." Notice that the clause "I get a raise next week" is in the present tense.
After "wish", use the simple past tense in the clause that follows. Use the special conjugation for "be" in the past: I were, He were, She were, It were, We were, You were, They were.
"I wish I had a good oven." (The reality is, I don't have a good oven.) "I wish my son weren't in New York". The reality is, my son is in New York, and I will miss him.
Complete the following sentences. You'll find a scrambled cue in the drop down menu. Click on the drop down menu, and you'll see the answer.
1. I hope
2. Maria hopes
3. Sam wishes
4. Mr. and Mrs. Philo saw a little leak in their ceiling. They hope
5. Alvin wishes
6. The workers hope
7. The teachers hope
8. David wishes
9. I'm having a great time on my vacation in Hawaii. I wish
10. My wife wishes
11. Maria hopes
12: I was looking forward to going to the beach. I wish
13. I hope
14. My daughter hopes
15. Stanley is fascinated by outer space. He wishes
16. Betty is going to Paris by plane. She hopes
17. Tom has to wait for a long time to vote in the election. He wishes
18. I know what you're thinking. You hope
19. Barry is a little under the weather today. He wishes
20. This is one of the best parties I've ever been to. I wish
21. I can't find very many interesting programs on Cable TV. I wish
22. Our afternoon classes aren't very large. The director wishes
23. The US government is considering asking the very wealthy to pay more taxes. Wealthy people hope
24. Daniel can't swim more than two laps. He wishes
25. Grammar Practice is always growing. New exercises are always being added. What grammar are you confused about? Your questions are very helpful for the development of this site. What kind of exercises do you wish
Your wishes will come true if you leave a comment.
"The New Immigrants: Late 1800s" from VOA - *THE MAKING OF A NATION – a program in Special English by the Voice of Amer...
4 weeks ago