Saturday, October 3, 2009

Past Perfect Tense Quiz

"Sunday afternoon at Jatte Island" by Georges Seurat













1. My parents didn't go to the movies last night because ______________ a movie the night before.

they didn't see
they has seen
they had seen
they have seen




2.
A: What was Mrs. Lee doing in her garden this morning?
B: She ______________ her plants.

was watering
had been watering
had watered
has watered




3. Albert was very tired last night because ____________ all day.

he's been exercising
he's exercised
he had exercised
he's exercising




4.
A: Did Helen enjoy discussing politics last night?
B: Yes. She ___________ in a long time.

hadn't been discussed
had discussed
didn't discuss
hadn't discussed




5.
A: Has Pamela ever been to Paris?
B: Yes. She ________ there last year.

had gone
went
has gone
had been going




6. Sam had trouble flying a kite last weekend because __________ never flown one before.

he had
he
he hadn't
he was



7. I didn't want to go swimming yesterday because I __________ swimming the day before.

was gone
had gone
am going
was go




8. By the time I got there, the game ______________

had already started
started
had been starting
has started




9. Harry's wife had already finished eating dinner when he __________ home.

had come
was coming
came
has come




10. James ___________ that his shirt was dirty until after dinner.

realized
hadn't realized
hasn't realized
wasn't realizing




11.
A: Why didn't you go to New York last year?
B: We didn't want to. _____________ to New York the previous year.

We've already gone
We'd already went
We'd already gone
We've already been




12. ________ Jerry arrived, we'd already left.

While
Whether
Where
By the time




13. Monica enjoyed going fishing yesterday because she ____________ in a long time.

hadn't thought about
hadn't gone fishing
hasn't gone fishing
wasn't gone fishing




14. By the time I got to the boat, it _____________ away.

was already sail
is already sailing
have been already sail
had already sailed




15. The bank had unfortunately closed by the time _______________ .

I got there
I was getting there
I had gotten there
I had been getting there








28 comments:

  1. Very hard,from the #1 to the #15,but thank you,
    someday we wll understand.

    nicolas a. guevara

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice quiz, thank you :)
    now past perfect is clearer for me 8D

    ReplyDelete
  3. good Q ... improve me alot!!! thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent quiz. We learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really ,good thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for this... it helped me a lot in my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really goood work that can help ESL students to challenge them knowledge. I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really good. thanks for this it help me a lot in my lesson good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the answer to #10 should be: "didn't realize"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Nope, past perfect is the action that happened before past simple.

      Delete
    2. it was a good practice for me. I did well because I had studied well. Yvince wa Yema student.

      Delete
  11. Good for me I had practiced by the time I learned. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is very easy thanks very much.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's just only redbaldhead challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool i want to also say who plays MOVIESTARPLANET if so look me up melina the werewolf17 or OUO barbie<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. today is chole mortezz b-day happy b-day btw she played on the movie CARRIE as the character carrie ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. this test was pretty good. I LOVED IT! Except plz add more questions to make it better.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like unicorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really good quality work. I stole a bunch of your quizzes to use on a test for my students lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is very easy I a boy of 5th class did it

    ReplyDelete
  20. it was very easy I a boy of 5th class did it my name is uhas

    ReplyDelete
  21. We would be further having every good stance in detail as are mentioned in detail and there will be more of the respective elements to be believed which must be done so. semicolon grammar

    ReplyDelete
  22. After I watched the video and finished the quiz I had seen clear how to use past perfect tenses

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks c: I know how to use the past perfect in sentences now ;)

    ReplyDelete