"Puddle" M.C. Escher, 1952
Write the main clause or time clause to complete the following sentences.
1. I was sleeping when
2. While , he tripped on the curb.
3. While , it started to rain.
4. They were watching TV when
5. I was eating lunch when
6. when the plane took off.
7. While , they saw a beautiful bird.
8. They were getting off a bus when on the sidewalk.
9. Jack hurt his wrist while
10. Rita was brushing her teeth when
11. We were waiting for the bus when
12. While , the photographers ran towards us.
13. While Mary was sleeping last night,
14. I was skiing when
15. The teacher started to cough while
16. when she heard the office phone ring.
17. when my friend called on me.
18. when the accident happened.
19 while he was playing basketball.
20. When the fire started,
21. Sonia was waiting for me when
22. When the computer suddenly shut off,
23. While my girlfriend paid for the dinner.
24. Tom and I were having coffee when
25. George was driving to work when
26. Dorothy was talking to her friend when
Past Progressive Conversation Practice, Grammartalk 9HB, Page One