Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hopes and Wishes

"Gonconda" Rene Magritte, 1953
(Click on the picture to enlarge it)


After "hope", use a clause in the present tense to talk about the future. For example, "I hope I get a raise next week." Notice that the clause "I get a raise next week" is in the present tense.

After "wish", use the simple past tense in the clause that follows. Use the special conjugation for "be" in the past: I were, He were, She were, It were, We were, You were, They were.
"I wish I had a good oven." (The reality is, I don't have a good oven.) "I wish my son weren't in New York". The reality is, my son is in New York, and I will miss him.

Complete the following sentences. You'll find a scrambled cue in the drop down menu. Click on the drop down menu, and you'll see the answer.

1. I hope


2. Maria hopes


3. Sam wishes


4. Mr. and Mrs. Philo saw a little leak in their ceiling. They hope


5. Alvin wishes


6. The workers hope


7. The teachers hope


8. David wishes


9. I'm having a great time on my vacation in Hawaii. I wish


10. My wife wishes


11. Maria hopes


12: I was looking forward to going to the beach. I wish


13. I hope


14. My daughter hopes


15. Stanley is fascinated by outer space. He wishes


16. Betty is going to Paris by plane. She hopes


17. Tom has to wait for a long time to vote in the election. He wishes


18. I know what you're thinking. You hope


19. Barry is a little under the weather today. He wishes


20. This is one of the best parties I've ever been to. I wish


21. I can't find very many interesting programs on Cable TV. I wish


22. Our afternoon classes aren't very large. The director wishes


23. The US government is considering asking the very wealthy to pay more taxes. Wealthy people hope


24. Daniel can't swim more than two laps. He wishes


25. Grammar Practice is always growing. New exercises are always being added. What grammar are you confused about? Your questions are very helpful for the development of this site. What kind of exercises do you wish
Your wishes will come true if you leave a comment.


20 comments:

  1. francisco PadillaMay 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM

    is very important praticar grammar and resolve our questions not to have problems when performing sentences

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a very helpful blog for exercising English grammar. great job, btw what code is used for this quiz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the exercise ,but I think that I need more practices and I know the ruls

    ReplyDelete
  4. The exercise regarding the tenses is really good. Many quizzes on vocabulary can be practiced on www.vocabmonk.com to gain a true learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'This is great. more on the use of modal/auxilliary verbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks .. This carries us through for the rest of our lives....!!






    Grammar check

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great site. Many students do not like to learn English Grammar. It's boring for them. I think such exercise is great to practice English grammar skill. Learning English Grammar will be easy by doing a lot of practices. Students will unconsciously master the Grammar rules through the activities. I also compiled some English Teaching Games for Teaching English Grammar http://www.foreignlanguagehunter.com/2015/01/using-games-in-teaching-english-grammar_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our site gives basic Soccer practices (or soccer instructing for a few!) practices that create you as either player or mentor in your own particular advancement. Our football rehearses and strategic arrangements offer our football some assistance with coaching figure out how to apply fundamental footballing standards to rearrange the football training process. These straightforward representations of practice movements and key focuses, permit you, as the mentor, to concentrate on particular specialized point of interest in player and mentor change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is almost considered to be more valuable for any of the students and professionals to regard those of the effective details so they would almost be having everything well in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly such kind of the ideas does used to help one to establish good foundations for the onward transmission of the better sources for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope and Wish are probably 2 confusing words which most of the students use incorrectly. But the explanation followed by the practice exercise can help them in clearing the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pelajaran terbesar dalam hidup ini adalah mengetahui bahwa orang bodoh pun kadang kala dapat melakukan yang benar.
    Obat kencing nanah di apotik

    ReplyDelete
  13. very very amazing explaintion....many things gather about yourself...yes realy i enjoy it
    Digital Marketing company in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post thanks for sharing with us. It made us knowledgeable about this topic..
    Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone essentially lend a hand to make severely posts I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular submit incredible. Fantastic job!
    Architectural Firms in Chennai
    Office Interior Designers in Coimbatore

    ReplyDelete